Tuesday, November 9, 2010

I Finally Have a Hoosier Cabinet. :)

I have wanted an old Hoosier-type cabinet as long as I can remember. Papa and Grandma had one in the pantry nook of their kitchen, and I always loved it. (Mom and Dad have it it in their house now, but I think it lost most of its charm when Mom recently repainted it. [Blue!] We agree to disagree on that.) My Italian great-grandmother had one in her kitchen too, but I don't know what came of it. Grandma kept baking supplies, food, recipes, and a few desk supplies inside her cabinet's cupboards. Papa and I would make gnocchi together on Sundays on its pull-out work surface. It was probably my favorite piece of furniture in their house. A neighbor was selling a similar cabinet-top on craigslist for only $25, and Mike and I lugged it up the stairs before supper tonight.  :) 

'Two sturdy shelves on the top, one below, and two drawers.  Its cupboard doors are etched glass.

Even the lock and hinges are old-fashioned and charming. 
I've already said "Hands off" to Mike. Every other surface in this apartment inevitably gets filled with his cds and books, but this one's all mine. Maybe someday when I have room again to do cake decorating and the real baking I used to do, this will be my go-to supply cupboard. In any case, I love it. With nothing inside it yet, the cabinet's top is not off-limits to Stuffed, though.  Clearly.  :)

6 comments:

FlowerLady said...

I love it, and sense your joy in now having your own cabinet. It's a jewel.

FlowerLady

Val said...

Yes, quite a find! :)

I hope you're having a good week, FlowerLady. I'm off for a few days now, which will be wonderful. :)

wildflowerhouse said...

Oh, Val, it is beautiful!

Val said...

Thank you, Diana. :) It really is. The woman who sold it to me said she loved it, but the top piece (mine now) broke off of the bottom, and she doesn't have room for it anymore anyway. A great deal. :)

Kim~HomeIsWhereTheHeartIs said...

What a great cabinet :)

Val said...

Hi, Kim. :) Thank you! 'Happy to meet you. :)