Sunday, November 7, 2010

Home is a name, a word, it is a strong one; stronger than magician ever spoke, or spirit ever answered to, in the strongest conjuration. ~ Dickens

One of my favorite college professors used to say as he dismissed us from class on Friday afternoons, "I hope you have a relaxing or productive weekend, whichever you need," and it would make us laugh. This weekend was both, and it didn't race by either: It just felt like a good three days.
I caught up on sleep. I read some of the new Runner's World that arrived in the mail yesterday. I walked around taking pictures of the fading-but-still-glorious trees and leaves. I listened to a lot of music. I drank a lot of hot chocolate.
I got letters from my mom, my aunt Laurie, and my cousin Mark. I mailed out a couple belated Halloween cards to two of my aunts. I got a letter and photos out to my parents too.
I fluffed-up Stuffed's basket/bed with a new red fleece blanket. I lit the pumpkin-spice candle and kept it lit most of the weekend. Mike and I went out for breakfast yesterday, and on walk home, we tried a street we hadn't been on before, and oh! oh! oh! It was the single most beautiful street I have seen in the three years I've lived here. I'm going back on Tuesday, my next day off, with a camera.
The weather alternated between mitten-weather and gorgeous autumn sunshine. We had a feast of baked potatoes for supper the past couple of nights. We watched half a movie together last night.
I cleaned and organized a number of things around here. I had time just to putter around the apartment and decorate a little more for fall. I ate the year's first gingerbread cookie. I just enjoyed being home. 

3 comments:

FlowerLady said...

What a lovely post about the joys of being 'home'.

Have a great week Val ~ FlowerLady

appledapple said...

I feel all relaxed just reading this lovely meandering weekend post! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Val said...

Thank you both. 'Hope your weeks are good too. :)