The fact that I recently--for the first time since All Things Covid-Related began--have been able to concentrate enough to write and read again means more to me than finally putting together this little desk corner, but still: Let us admire a finished project. :) I knew when Mike and I moved into this apartment ten years ago that this little corner would be perfect as my desk corner and also for our Christmas tree, and a few months ago, I got to see the vision come-to-life.
For years, I'd been doodling pictures of the desk corner and gathering bits and bobs for it, and last spring, I found a desk and chair that would fit into this spot. As with the hutch re-do and mantel-painting, the desk went through a couple stages before I found the right color for it. It began an unfinished wood--
--was briefly black--
--and then I realized if I love the green of the hutch in the corner opposite from the desk so much, why not just use the same color here? Green it became, then, as did the chair.
I dolled up the front of the desk and the back of the chair with a decoupage paper. I replaced the desk's round wooden drawer knob with a letter V drawer pull. I added pink gingham paper to the sides of the drawer. And I texted photos to Mom throughout the process. :)
The lamp was a rare splurge, a heavy Italian bust lamp I found on eBay a few years ago and stored in the bedroom until I figured out the rest of the desk. Love, love, love. ♥ I found a top hat lampshade for it, jazzed that up with a different shade of green paint, velvet ribbon for the brim, ferns, and Rosemary--for remembrance.The chair cushion started out as the black gingham pillow Mom had made for me that Stuffed would always rest on on my lap when we sat across the room together, but when I was ready to see it back on that chair without him, I moved it back and bought the black and white ticking stripe cushion to use with the desk. Months of looking for a rug led me to this one on eBay. The seller's mom had made it in the 1940s. The size, pattern, and colors are perfect for this little corner. ♥
The pink gingham desk skirt is actually the skirt I wore to my grandmother's funeral last January. She would more than understand. :) ♥ It is simply slipped onto a tension rod across the front of the desk, which lets me store a bin of rough drafts, index cards, and notes underneath. On the wall above it is an "I Love You" cross-stitch Mom made while pregnant with her oldest, my older brother. She had it in all my bedrooms as a kid and at some point gave it to me to keep. She painted the pink gingham flower pot-turned-pen pot for me years ago too. ♥
The photos on the plant nook underneath the cross-stitch are of Laura Ingalls Wilder and Louisa May Alcott. The narrow wall to the right contains my collection of silhouettes of women writing.
Well, that only took ten years. :)
















9 comments:
Val, I love it all! So charming. The green is perfect, the pink gingham just the right length - amazing! The rug, and all the loving details. Good job. :)
It's very apparent that you put your very Soul into making this corner match your personality. It looks absolutely beautiful and so very cheerful. I hope you have lots of wonderful days reading and writing in such an inspirational place. Spring can bring out the best in us it looks like that's what it's done for you. Thank you for sharing. Have a wonderful Easter.
Its so you! And that lamp!!Just perfect for one of my very favorite writes!!Well done.♥
What a very special nook for your desk! You’ve made it all your own! Great that there are so many meaningful touches! - xoxo Nellie
Dearest Val,
It's such a blessing and a BRIGHT in the day to see all your renovation and resurrection and rejuvenation of all the OLD on this special Holiday. It's simply charming, every inch, and so YOU in every pattern, color and memory. Love and best wishes for a wonderful Easter. Stay well and warm, Faraway Friend. r
Thank you all. :) And Rachel, I will try to email you sooner rather than later. ♥
Back again! I can only hope that I'm the rachel you meant, for I'd love to hear from you again. We've had some major changes in our life, and I'm rrrrrreachable at ganjin042@gmail.com. It's been quite sunny here for days, and all the trees and bushes are beginning to glow with the first thoughts of VAL GREEN.
It looks divine!
Xo
Cheeze
Apna Shobroom Kuber Yantra and Vyapar Vridhi Yantra bring blessings of success, wealth and peace. Pooja for The Divine Glow and Light Panchdeep Diya for Brass Diya. A brass Gangjal Kalash ritualApna Showroom Baby Girl's and Baby Boy's Cotton Panties Fancy and Designer (Multicolour, 3-6 Months) -12 Piece
Apna Showroom Unisex Baby's Cotton Panties/Bloomers/Underwear (2-3 Years)-12 Pieces
Apna Showroom Unisex Baby's Cotton Panties/Underwear Pack of 12 for 18-24 months 1-2 years baby panty
keeps pure. Women can style hair with comb, lice comb and fashionable metal hairband. Add beauty with 5 hair daily pins set and tick TAC hair clip. Children aged 6–12 months are comfortable with cotton socks.
Post a Comment