Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Ocean City Kites

A month ago today, Mike and I were in Ocean City for the last day of its September kite festival.  The kites are now one of my favorite Ocean City memories.  I cried at the beauty of them and at the thought that there's no real reason for them but that instead, this is something enough people wanted to do just to add some beauty and joy and whimsy and fun to other peoples'--completes strangers'--days.  It was just so touching to me.  
'Flying pigs (always my favorite  ), rainbows, larger-than-life seagulls,
swordfish or marlin,
soccer players and soccer balls--so charming!--
dragons,
stingrays and seahorses,
giant horses,
Pegasus (!), with a black and white cat under him that looked more than a bit like our own  , more stingrays, and a black and white dog, 

 --I could cry again looking at these pictures.  The creativity and just-for-the-joy-of-it!  ♥  Some of these kites lit up, so even while walking on the beach or boardwalk at night, we could enjoy them.  The wonder!  A huge elephant and whale were about to get off the ground just as we were leaving town, and at some point, I saw in other peoples' photos, there were larger-than-life scuba divers in the air too.  We did see penguins, fish, more rainbows, more dragons, and my beloved flying pigs again, though. 
 
The kites were enchanting even from a distance, 
and I had a favorite photo of them from the weekend turned into postcards after we returned home.  Ohhh, sweet Ocean City!  I love it so.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Wow - I never saw such a display! It's delightful. :)

Diana Stirling said...

Love these, Val! Fantastic!!!

a simple life said...

What a wonderful thing this is! I love all the color =) Great photos, Val, and it looks like you and Mike had such a nice day.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Val, thank you always for your kind words you pass on to this one.