Thursday, June 20, 2019

Hearts and Flowers, or Up-and-Down Spring

'A perfect heart-shaped stone Mom found out in my garden this spring. 
Spring has been lovely, 
and now we move into summer already.  The oldest I've ever been and the fastest-moving year I've ever had, and I'm sure the two go together.  I turned 42 last month, my older brother is only five years from 50, baby Bianca "graduated" kindergarten last week, "little" Dylan who started kindergarten just yesterday has a girlfriend and is in high school this fall with his sister, a new niece or nephew is due any day now, I have been struggling for awhile now with what seems to be psoriatic arthritis, and all this to say time has been flying and I have been feeling old.  Bianca's cat ↓ captures my wary watching of the seasons as they change.  :)
'A thousand changes at work lately too, which have made for a stressful spring.  As Lisa over at "Searching for a Balance" knows, balance isn't something you find once and cross off your to-do list, but instead something you have to re-find over and over every day.  I found the below heart on a table at my workplace one night this spring and had to laugh.  When a paper towel-piece heart randomly appears on a worktable, I have to take it as a reminder to "be still and know that [He is] God," right.   So I adjust to the thousand new changes and plod onward. 
And get a haircut that is way too short--where is my wild mass of curls!!!??!!  GONE!  I now have the smallest sprig of them, like an unruly paintbrush perched atop my head--
 --then I find a heart in my hummus and chips and chill out a little more.  Again. 
I made it home around Mother's Day and Father's Day so got to see both my family and my roses--Louise Odier is in bloom this very week!  --and those things alone end this up-and-down June on a sweet note.  
Heaven on earth!  And the scent!!    I made a small bouquet of these and my white Iceberg roses for my sister-in-law Sunday as she works her way through her final days of pregnancy.   To her, the days are probably not moving along quickly enough.  
'Another perfect heart Tuesday afternoon, this one as I was waiting for the bus back to the apartment post-visit home.  And tomorrow, it will be summer.  Ay yi yi.  

5 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Dear Val ~ your posts always make me smile. You are a heart see-er, collector like I am. They are always just a joy, a comfort to find.

Love you sweet girl ~ FlowerLady

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

P.S. We do get reminders to slow down, be still and to remember that God is the Great I AM who cares deeply for us all. Thanks for the reminder in your post. I will pray for you with the arthritis.

Lisa said...

Such beautiful flowers, Val! Wonderful photos. I'm awfully sorry to hear of your health issues; I would say you're too young for me to welcome you to "old age". :( As for your haircut - at least you can still put (some of it) up! And I do love the bluebird of happiness at the end. :) xxxooo

But you've definitely got my number - it is a daily thing, to be finding that balance. Don't give up!

Jenny said...

hi val, you take the MOST gorgeous pictures! i can almost smell those lilacs and roses! absolutely stunning. thank you so much for sharing. 1st day of summer, how is that possible?

i know how you feel about a "too short" haircut. i told the gal shoulder length. "ok, got it" she said. at one point, she turned the chair and i could finally see myself in the mirror "what did you do? i said shoulder length!?!" she replies, "oh...sorry, i thought you said COLLAR length" eek! i could barely get it into a ponytail, it was like a 'sprig' of hair. i didn't need even a trim for like 6 months! as they say, it grows back (but mine grows slow) i think your's looks cute, it should be a bit cooler for the warmer days ahead, but i know the feeling...

making adjustments, finding ways to adapt, and striking that balance are definitely things we can't cross off our 'to do' lists, but we keep putting one foot in front of the other, finding hearts, smelling flowers and keep looking up. sending you good thoughts val and wishing you all the best. continue to capture the moments and hold them close to your heart ❤

Val said...

Thank you all. ♥