Thursday, July 20, 2017

Be Funny, It's Your Money

This was, according to my aunt Heidi, how my grandfather used to answer the phone.  :)  Today it has been two weeks since his funeral, and anecdotes like that one are now able to make me laugh without then crying too.  Progress!  It's been a rough month.  I still haven't completely unpacked the luggage I'd taken home for the services.  I still haven't tackled the mountain of laundry in the bedroom either.  I have gotten real mail out to family, though, and emails and texts, as well, and even found my somehow-now-thirteen-year-old nephew Dylan a birthday card with a drawing of a pickle on the front and a message inside of, "You're a big Dill!"    (Remember his first day of kindergarten!?  Sweet Baby Dyl!)  Life, then, goes on, and so do I, finding love and smiles--even in my salads--as always.  And my grandfather would approve--all the better. 

9 comments:

Lisa said...

Yes, Val - keep that sense of humor going! xo

racheld said...

Finding love and smiles in salads and pickles---now, THAT'S my kind of cooking! I'm glad that you're settling into the sweetness of the memories, and leaving behind the pang of the loss. Both will take a while, and both are necessary and healing parts of the process.

Remembering his silly phone message is as important as the life lessons he taught you while you were fishing or strolling a path, or mastering holding the bat for the best hitting stance. Our memories of them are as important in the whole scheme of the lives they lived as are their decisions and deeds. j

says rachel, who every now and then goes in and spritzes the shower curtain with a tiny spray of my Dad's Obsession for Men---the only single thing I walked out of his house with when he passed away.

Anonymous said...

Take care Val...how lucky you are to have such precious memories...diana

jo(e) said...

Grieving takes time! Be gentle with yourself.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Friend. Hope this note finds you well. I've tried to text, but it must not be getting through. Wishing that the job is all that you've dreamed and more. :)

Love always, Cheez

Marie Rayner said...

Val, we all process grief differently and in our own way and time. Still sending you extra love and prayers. Hold onto those happy thoughts and memories. xoxo

racheld said...

That's not just a smile---that's a great big baby-chuckle, from a sweet boy playing with his Auntie Owl and a stuffed doggie in her pillow-fort bed. If that's not safety and comfort and happy memories for a little one---name it for me.

r

Val said...

Oh, goodness, thank you all. I didn't even realize until just now that I never responded. Thank you. ♥

Sandra @ Thistle Cove Farm said...

Dear Val, my sincere condolences and grief takes as long as it takes. I've found it's best not to rush things and, God forbid, don't take meds to dull the pain. (I am grateful for my GP but in that case he was *totally* wrong!) Take care of you, surrounded by love and the memory of love.