Thursday, May 12, 2016

May at My Parents' House

This visit found my parents' gardens coming back to life, the start of a season my mom and dad yearn for all Cabin Fever-filled winter.  Both planting, repainting, and repairing things in their yardDad out for his walks.  Dad fishing, almost chortling later as he recounted the morning's successesMom getting ready for Sunday's visit with all her kids and grandbabies.  Plant-shopping with MomA now-traditional slice of lemon meringue pie and an iced tea for me at a local restaurant, and a toasted gluten-free roll with jelly and a cup of hot tea for Mom.  Laughing when I found her an imitation-pewter George Washington plate in the local Goodwill and not in Boston three weeks prior as I had hoped.   Talking bee-keeping and the 1956 Chevy Bel Air (his pick) vs. the 1957 Ford Fairlane (my pick) with Dad.  Oohing over handsome Hal Linden while watching "Barney Miller" with Mom.  Laughing with my brothers and their kids this Sunday.  We are blessed.  'Such a sweet weekend home, and I am now homesick for everyone as I always am post-visit

10 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

You are such a sweetie pie♥
I love you mama's bunny house..I spy Beatrix here and there..

Oh yes..barney Miller..etc..those were the days my freind..we thought they'd never end~

La Table De Nana said...

you mama's..gasp...your mama's..oh my typos can get quite quirky.

Val said...

Thank you, Monique. Mom has Peter Rabbit everywhere, yes. She loves the Beatrix Potter artwork. I'll have to take more pictures next month and do a post about her shed. It's sweet.

I've inherited my parents' love of "Barney Miller," yes. What a great show. "Wojciehowicz. . .spelled just like it sounds." :)

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What a sweet place they have with lots of lovely blooms.

racheld said...

Oh, what a sweet, memorable weekend! And are those LILACS?? (Or Lye-Locks, as the first bunch of the March sisters pronounced them in the movies)---I thought of them as that forever, and now I wonder what is YOUR pronunciation?


So glad you had such a good time!! (and tell your DAD that WE had the '56 white-over-sky-blue Bel Air---I'd just stand and gaze at it for the longest time, in wonder that it was OURS, and I leaned to drive in it).


r

Marie Rayner said...

Love the Bunny House Val, and Lilacs. Happy May! xoxo

Barb Cowles said...

The bench your dad built—what a lovely place for an afternoon nap.

Val said...

Thank you, Lorraine. Yes, it's a pretty spot.

Rachel, my dad learned to drive in the '56 Bel Air too--the blue and white one too. :) I have a picture here of him posing with his dog beside it. When I read "Lye-Locks," I thought yes, that's how we say it here, but then I heard myself saying "Lye-lacks," so maybe I say it--or at least think it--both ways. One of my favorite flowers, in any case. That scent IS my childhood. As it is for many people, I know. ♥ Did my email reach you? I hope so.

Marie, thank you. I'm sure Mom would love "a cuppa" with you inside the bunny shed. You two would hit it off. :)

Thank you, Barb. Dad is quite handy, and I'm sure there'll be pictures of napping-on-the-bench grandbabies at some point. :)

sonia a. mascaro said...

What a lovely home and place of your Mom and Dad!
Your mom's bunny house is pretty!

Val said...

Thank you, Sonia. I'll have to take more pictures of it this summer when everything surrounding it's in bloom. :)