Friday, December 12, 2014

The Making of Emmet Otter

Around eleven last night, I came up with the idea to make my parents a stuffed Emmet Otter for Christmas.  Watching Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas is part of my family's Christmas Eve tradition and has been for decades.  After Christmas Eve dinner, my younger brother serves his homemade eggnog, and we all take eggnog and desserts into the living room and camp out on the couch, chairs, and floor--those on the floor usually wrapped in sleeping bags and piles of quilts, propped up by bed pillows borrowed from my parents' room--to watch the movie together.  I haven't shared Christmas Eve with my family since getting married, and it is one of the things I miss most.  A small stuffed Emmet as part of my parents' Christmas gifts this year, then. 
A stuffed animal that had been set aside to donate to the school has instead been--gasp--cut up for its fur.  (I had been waffling about sending it to the school anyway, and I'd found it for only a couple bucks, so I can always find another if I decide it's "library-worthy.")  I formed a rather messy-looking ball of fur, stuffing, and what seems to be my go-to combination of thread and hot glue.  I thought I had one big black button that looked nose-like in grandma's old button jar, and indeed, I did!  So Emmet had a head and nose.  I sewed the green hat out of an old green pot holder, inserting a piece of cardboard to boost its brim, and I snipped eyes and eyebrows out of the lining of my black shoulder bag.   
A holey mitten was cut up to make Emmet's hat's chin-strap.  And that is as far as I've gotten, what with the limited supplies on-hand here at eleven pm.  I'll hit the thrift shop later today in the hopes of finding an inexpensive scrap of blue that will work for his coat, and then it's on to creating his pants, shoes, and wash tub.  So far, so good.  Dear Emmet is my first handmade stuffed animal, and I'm having a sweet time crafting him. 

10 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Val ~ Emmet is absolutely adorable. You are doing a fantastic job and I look forward to seeing your finished creation. Your folks are going to love him.

Happy holidays dear heart ~ FlowerLady

latabledenana said...

Cute cute!
Happy Holidays to you!

Lisa said...

I've never heard of Emmett Otter, but it looks like you did a great job on him, Val!

Balisha said...

I had forgotten all about Emmet Otter and the Jug Band. A favorite of mine several years ago.
Your creation is so cute...love the idea.
Balisha

Val said...

Aw, thank you, Lorraine, Monique, Lisa, and Balisha! I'm pleased so far. 'About to head out to the thrift shop in search of coat material. :)

Nellie said...

So, so cute, Val. What a great idea! xo

Val said...

Thank you, Nellie. :) I just got back from the thrift shop. I found a blue hat, a brown hat, and a tiny pair of boots I can re-purpose for Emmet's outfit, so I can continue now. :)

Teresa Schubert said...

Val,
Looks pretty cute so far!!
Teresa,
sugar, spice and whatever's nice

Val said...

Thank you, Teresa. :)

Marie Rayner said...

He's adorable thus far Val! I love crafting for Christmas. I miss having family around. I can't wait to see your finished project! xxoo