Sunday, November 9, 2014

Autumn Awe

After going out for breakfast-for-him/lunch-for-me and a movie this afternoon, Mike and I walked home on a hilly cobblestone road that I would reside on in a heartbeat if I could afford it.  Author Willa Cather lived in a home on this hill in her pre-O Pioneers! years while she was teaching at local schools.  It is heavenly, especially in the fall.  The leaves' colors are so vibrant this year, they almost don't seem real.  I annoyed Mike by stopping to take picture after picture, settling myself onto the grass or pavement for some shots with my shoulder bag beside me.  Someday when I'm 100, I'll be glad I got these shots, I say.  :)  I could have taken a million more pictures and still barely have captured today's walk, though.  This was one of the most beautiful afternoons I've ever seen, and the leaves were pink! scarlet! gold! green! violet! rust! orange! peach! amazing!  It is all truly a wonder--And that this happens every year! And is free!  Bliss.  
All that beauty on just one little road!    And before arriving back at the apartment, we passed a church's local pumpkin sale.  The display is so striking every year, and I hadn't expected it to be set-up still, but there it was, a sweet end to a sweet afternoon.
As an aside:  Marie, Monique, and my other artistic readers, you may be amused to learn how much the pumpkin picture above amuses me--because one of my small goals for this fall was to draw better pumpkins, and this picture captures exactly what it was I'd been missing/somehow not really seeing before:  The top of a pumpkin isn't really the stem; some pumpkin appears above/behind the stem too.  :)  I doodle on the pages of my journal, and my pumpkin doodles finally improved a couple weeks ago when I figured that out. It is the little things, indeed.  :)
Ahhh, Winter!  Take your time coming this year, please!  I know each season has its charms and beauties, but I just don't want this fall to end.  This year, especially, the colors are a balm for the soul. 

9 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

Lovely to see a post from you Val! I enjoyed all of the fall pictures. Todd gets annoyed with me taking pictures of food. He finds it embarassing! Can you imagine? haha I love taking photos of nature as well. I alwas enjoy your posts. Have a fabulous week! Love and hugs. xxoo

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Thank you Val for sharing those lovely glimpses of glorious fall in your area. I love that old cobblestone street. Wonderful!

Happy Fall to you ~ Love & hugs ~ FlowerLady

La Table De Nana said...

I love that walk and that area..Val you made me smile..Jacques is the same way.
With walks and photos..as for food ..I usually shoot desserts because he is not at the point of eating them..Dinners ..well it's too dark now anyways..

But it struck me particularly with the walks:)
Did you try the pumpkin painting video I linked to on a post? You would enjoy it I am certain!

Cute cute.

Balisha said...

I was mesmerized by this post. All the beauty that you shared with us. You are right that when you are 100 you will have these pictures. I so enjoy my old pictures and often compare them with today. Now, I'm not quite 100.....but in my late 70's.
Keep up this wonderful blog...you never know who you touch with your words and pictures. Balisha

Lisa said...

I'm with you, Val. Always taking photos of our backyard scene, always oohing and aahing over it. The deep blue with bright tree colors; or as it was the other day, the layers of gray cloud cover next to old golds of leaves before they fall. I love it all.

Thanks for sharing, and congrats on getting the pumpkin right!

Teresa Schubert said...

Val,
It's all so lovely! Thanks for sharing with us :-)
Teresa,
sugar, spice and whatever's nice

Val said...

Thank you all. :)

Amy said...

SOME DAY.....I'll talk you into getting an Instagram....and then I will 'Like' every single picture you take. (in a totally non-stalker way). You have such a great eye...

Anonymous said...


So Lovely! Thank you!

Love,
Lily