Monday, November 11, 2013

We've Been Painted :)

Since Mike and I skipped all the hoopla of a wedding to marry more simply--a ceremony at the courthouse in the town where we had met in the 1990s, a decision to save money now and vacation later, a dress that was actually a vintage nightgown and vintage jacket combo, a storebought cake for us and homemade cookies to share with the courthouse and hotel staff, a handmade bouquet--this painting is my one wedding-related splurge, and I finally treated myself to it this fall.  In August, I contacted folk artist Heather Sleightholm to ask if she had the time to complete a wedding portrait for me and Mike.  I love Heather's work, and as soon as I discovered her, I knew I wanted her to capture our simple wedding day for us.  We emailed back and forth in August and September to ensure she had enough photos and details to go by--the spring green outfit, my braided hair, our simple silver wedding bands, the wintry rainy April 2011 weather that had broken into sun just for our day and then turned into cold rain again that night, the trees that were still bare-branched, Mike's tie that matched my outfit, our courthouse in the background somewhere, and "Heather, would it be possible to add Stuffed to our painting?  :)  Maybe at our feet or in a tree, but just somewhere?"  Our portrait arrived on Halloween, and as you can see, Heather captured it all perfectly.  This is one of my if-the-apartment-were-on-fire-and-I-had-time-to-save-a-few-material-posessions items.  I love it. 
I had made my bridal bouquet of Daffodils, Pussy Willows, and Cattails.  Heather incorporated them not only into my bouquet, but also into masses of blooms on the ground around us, along with patches of half-melted snow. 
My sweet Mike, or "my big bearded friend," as I call him, with our courthouse behind him.  The courthouse is the most beautiful building in our former college town.  I used to live a block behind it when I went to school there. 
My bouquet and my beloved cream tights and T-strap shoes.  Heather even included the embroidered details on my jacket's collar. 
Mike's ring in the painting is even the simple silver band it is in real life.  Heather's attention to detail and the care she took with this just make my heart happy.  And below is our Stuffed watching over us from a tree-top.  Dear face. 
We are now blessed enough to have both the wedding pictures we had taken (with the cameras on our phones and on a disposeable camera I'd bought at Target the day before [blissfully simple, as I'd said!]) and this lovely painting too.  And where else to display it but on the mantel Dad made for our first anniversary.  It is a treasure. 
  "An April Wedding" by Heather Sleightholm  ♥

20 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh, it's Charming! How did you find this woman? I went to her site and love the woodland madonna painting.
Money well spent, Val.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

That is wonderful! I love it on your mantle made by your Dad too.

Love and hugs to the both of you Val.

FlowerLady

Val said...

Thank you both. :) I've been trying to write and comment in between washing dishes, feeding Stuffed, and getting ready to leave for work. I'll have tomorrow off and will catch up more then. (Lisa, I haven't even said "Congrats on the Red Sox win!" yet, so there you go.) :)

I don't remember where I first heard of Heather, Lisa--Her etsy shop maybe or her blog? Her work is incredible. You should look up her Headless Horseman painting she did earlier this fall. 'Just amazing.

Lisa said...

Oh! An etsy shop? I'm over there! I also had wanted to say that I was sorry the Pirates didn't make it. But thanks for the Red Sox congrats. :)

joe said...

Lookin' good guys!

Nellie said...

How very lovely, Val! Heather has done such wonderful work. I love Stuffed in the tree.:-) xo Nellie

La Table De Nana said...

It is adorable..and I get a lovely feeling looking at it:-)

Tracy said...

I love it Val, it is a very special work of art. I'm off to check in on Heather's sites.

TJ G said...

Oh how wonderful!

Val said...

Thank you all. :) Heather's etsy shop is called Audrey Eclectic and is here: http://www.etsy.com/shop/audreyeclectic?ref=em

Thank you again. :) ♥

Heather said...

aw, it looks great on your mantle! So glad I could do this for you!~ Wishing you many happy years together!~

Blessed Serendipity said...

Val I love this painting. It is precious and has such a sweet folk art vintage feeling about it. Even better is that you love it and that it brings back cherished memories. It is wonderful!

Danielle

9peasMom said...

What a great idea, I love the painting!

Julie Marie said...

Hello Val... and thanks so much for visiting me!... your painting is lovely, and your kitty cat adorable!... I too love the simple things in life... and your wedding sounds delightful!... xoxo Julie Marie

Val said...

Thank you all. :) ♥

asmplelife said...

What a wonderful gift to yourselves. And what a beautiful piece of art. Truly a treasure for a lifetime.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Val, that is AAAdorable and love all the detail. You and my sister share a wedding month/day. Special also for her because my b'day is 4/11 and hers 4/13. Not so sure about the irs though...-grin

Val said...

Thank you, Cheryl, and thank you, Sandra. I share a birthday with your husband and now, I know, the birthday/wedding month with you and your sister. :) My older brother laughed at the idea that we'd married on Tax Day--but hey, that's when the courthouse was available. :)

wildflowerhouse said...

Oh, this is wonderful, Val!

Val said...

Thank you, Diana--She really did a sweet job.