Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Nobody can do for little children what grandparents do. Grandparents sort of sprinkle stardust over the lives of little children. ~ Alex Haley

  Click to enlarge. 
Grandma proudly labeled this photo "Our Gum tree, fall of 1990," I saw when I inherited her photos in 2001.  Papa and Grandma's trees and gardens were brilliant, and I always loved how their house was nestled behind the trees and Rhododendrons, but to me, the true caption for this picture is Home.  Or Love.  Childhood.  Safety.  Ever since I was a kid, whenever I've had those crazy panicked someone-is-chasing-me sort of nightmares, I've always thought "I have to get to Papa and Grandma's.  I just need to make it to Papa and Grandma's."  And in every dream, every time, their beautiful yard suddenly appears in the distance as I run and I know I just need to reach it in order to be safe.  The Bad Guys disappear at my grandparents' house, Papa and Grandma's bee boxes and raspberry bushes and tree swing serving as my dream world's line of demarcation.  People who have had near-death experiences often report that they passed through a peaceful tunnel and were greeted by a glowing light; When my time comes, I want to find myself in Papa and Grandma's yard--just long enough to get my bearings straight, you understand.  Oddly, it is almost exactly three years to the day since I last wrote here about missing my grandparents' yard.  Maybe autumn just makes me especially nostalgic.  Or maybe there really is some magic in this simple gray-shingled house and the trees that surround it, just as there is something special about every place we love that we feel loves us back.  
 
 
 

8 comments:

La Table De Nana said...


You darling girl you..

Val said...

Thank you, Monique. xo♥

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Thank you for sharing.
You are lucky.
I miss my grandmother very much...

Val said...

Me too, Ernestine. There's nothing like the relationship with one's grandparents.

Lisa said...

Val, I love that house and the yard! No wonder you have such memories.
And the chaise! We still have the same thing - blue and white webbing!

Val said...

Thank you, Lisa. I had to go back just now and add a few more photos I'd meant to add the first time: Grandma with some of her flowers, Papa with his bee boxes, and one of the vegetable garden and berry bushes. It was an awesome place. I wish I'd thought to take pictures of more areas of it--and in more seasons.

The webbed chairs! They're so great. :) And sturdy. It seemed like Papa and Grandma had the same ones forever.

TiffanyJane said...

LOVE those family photos! So sweetly endearing.....

I never really had grandparents growing up, but I knew when I adopted children my parents would be GREAT grandparents.
And sure enough, 2 children later, my parents are awesome grandparents! My children are very blessed {as am I} to have them. So, I hope on day my children will speak of them and their home/yard as you do :)
hugs,
Tiff

Val said...

I'm sure they will, Tiff. :) You all waited so long to have each other, the love between you all must be incredible, I know. ♥♥