Saturday, April 13, 2013

Two Years

Mike took this photo of us in our hotel room on our wedding day two years ago.  It's one of my favorites from that whole day.  Our smiles!  We had just finished calling our parents to tell them the news, and the blushing giddiness we felt after those laughter-filled conversations is still on our faces in the picture.  "Oh, I figured you were up to something!" Mike's mom responded to his announcement.  "You never call in the middle of the day on a Friday like this!"  My own mom tried to speak normally but kept giggling and barely managed to call out to my dad in the background, "GENE!  Val's MARRIED!"  When she put my dad on, we caught up, and then he mentioned, in his usual Dad's Daily Diary-fashion, some dish he had recently cooked for his and Mom's supper that had bacon in it, and when I replied that it sounded like something Mike would love, Dad chortled, "That's right!  Mike!  I'll have to make it next time you're both here!  For my son-in-law!"  I love remembering these moments, all of us simultaneously shy and stunned-a-bit-stupid and and laughing during every pause in our conversations.
Tittering to each other and repeatedly rubbing our thumbs against the backs of our plain silver bands, Mike and I took one more picture and talked about where to go for supper.  We decided on a restaurant.  We commented that it would be Our First Meal as a Married Couple.  We laughed some more.  And hand in hand, we set off.  

18 comments:

Tracy said...

Happy anniversary to you and Mike. I hope you have many more.
Tracy

pam said...

Happy Anniversary! I just wanted to say also that I am really enjoying your blog...Jenny Holiday e-mailed me that I won your give-away and I am so excited and wanted to thank you! I will let you know when it arrives...Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Dear, dear Val ~ Happy 2nd Anniversary for you and Mike. Your love for each other is evident for all to see and a blessing.

Every day is a reason to celebrate love, anniversaries, extra special.

Love and hugs ~ FlowerLady

Nellie said...

Ah! An April anniversary! Sending along many happy wishes to the two of you! Hugs, Nellie

Carol said...

Happy Anniversary! Have a wonderful celebration.

La Table De Nana said...

:) Enjoy every year to come..
It's a great life to be with someone you can share everything with.

Blondie's Journal said...

This is such a touching story of your wedding day! Your parents sounded like they were elated to have Mike for a new family member!

Happy Anniversary and wishing you many, many more!

XO,
Jane

NanaDiana said...

What a wonderful, sweet story, Val. I love it and Happy Anniversary!!! xo Diana

NanaDiana said...

What a wonderful, sweet story, Val. I love it and Happy Anniversary!!! xo Diana

NanaDiana said...

What a wonderful, sweet story, Val. I love it and Happy Anniversary!!! xo Diana

NanaDiana said...

What a wonderful, sweet story, Val. I love it and Happy Anniversary!!! xo Diana

Lisa said...

Happy Anniversary to you two kiddos! And many, many more. xoxo

Fran. said...

Well Happy Anniversary you two groovey love birds!! I love your style Val!! And yes that movie Dan in real life is a hoot!! My husband and I quote "you are a murder of love" a lot!! LOL Makes me wanna watch it!! LOL Have a great day!! XOXO Love Fran.

emily said...

I'm obsessed with plain silver bands for wedding rings!!!! So classy and they dont get lotion stuck all over them.

Rev. Jim said...

Val & Mike: Happy, Happy Anniversary!
Wishes for very Sweet Memories from Laura's "Sweet Memories" in Mansfield, MO!
Rev. Jim

Val said...

Thank you all. :) ♥

Pam, congrats! I just heard from Jenny today that you had won, and she passed along your address, so I'll mail it out soon. :)

Love to you all,

Val ♥

asmplelife said...

Happy, happy anniversary to you, Val and MIke! What an especially sweet story and I love, love, love that photo of your rings =)

Val said...

Thank you, Cheryl. :)