Sunday, April 17, 2011

Our First Photo as Husband and Wife :)

Mr. Mike and I "ran away and got married" on Friday afternoon. :) It was, as I've told him at least fifty times since then, exactly the day I'd hoped we would have: Laid-back, sweet, simple, sunny, pretty, and fun. We married at the court house in our old college town, where we met in the late 1990s. Years before we ever even started dating, Mike and I jokingly made a pact with each other that if we weren't married by a certain date, we would marry each other, and what do you know, more than a decade later, there we were, back where it all began, driving around the campus in our mid-thirties as husband and wife. Don't ever let anyone tell you that life isn't strange.

When Mike called his parents from our hotel room Friday evening to tell them, his mom said she had figured we were up to something--Mother's intuition. :) And my mom squealed, "What?! VALLY!!!" and then laughed and called out to my dad, "Gene! Val's MARRIED!" (The phone conversations with my mom and dad are two of my favorite memories from the whole experience. I laugh and smile every time I remember them.) Mom said she'd actually told our friend Vickie recently that she wouldn't be surprised just to get a phone call from me one of these days saying Mike and I had "gone off somewhere and gotten married," so she obviously believed me all the times growing up I said I'd prefer to elope. :) Our parents passed the news along to our siblings while Mike and I went out for supper, and reading our brothers' text messages and hearing their voice mails over the weekend made it all even more fun. :) We had had our ceremony at the court house scheduled since January 31st, so to let everyone in on the secret finally has been nice.)

And now it is going on midnight two days later and Mike and I both have to work tomorrow. Girly green-vintage-wedding-dress-and-black-T-strap-shoes-and-cream-tights-and-braided-hair-and-heart-shaped-sugar-cookies-and-Daffodil-bouquet details another day. In the meantime, Val and Mr. Mike are married.  :)

15 comments:

FlowerLady said...

Oooohh, oooohh, Congratulations Val and Mike on becoming Mr. & Mrs. I am so happy for you. I love your bouquet, and how your dress and Mike's tie are color coordinated. I can't quit smiling.

Love, hugs and much happiness to both of you,

FlowerLady

Carol said...

Congratulations! I'm really happy for you both, and you look just wonderful.

Happy, happy news.

Songbird said...

Congratulations and blessings to you both!

Lisa said...

Congratulations, Val!! God bless your lives together. (What does Stuffed have to say about it?)

Val said...

Thank you all! :) I'm looking forward to my day off tomorrow when I can share more pictures and words about it all. :)

And Lisa, I think Stuffed approves. :) I came back with extra treats and food for him, since Mike and I had wedding cake. :)

Madai Rodgers said...

OHHHHHH, there's the HAPPY couple!!!!! I LOVE GREEN!!!! What an ADORABLE & SWEET DRESS!!! and I just LOVE your bouquet of daffodils... this is sooooo SWEET and SOOOO very YOU! Love Mr Mikes' coordinating tie :)ohhh dear, I always cry at weddings...sniff, sniff...
I am so happy for you both dear one!

And I agree about life being strange...I loved reading your "how we met" story, so cute :) I would have never thought I would be married for 23 years to my Mr Mike, we met in high school...oh so many moons ago...

Both of your parents should be very proud and happy!!!

Wishing you both many blessings and marital bliss!!!
xox

The Favorite Things Guy said...

CONGRATS! I wish you both many wonderful years together.

Anonymous said...

So very happy for you!!! Congrats all over the place to you both!!!!

xoxoxo
Cheeze

Val said...

Ohhh, thank you all! It was sweet coming home from work tonight and reading your good wishes. :) My best back to you all too. :)

Chad said...

Hip, hip, hooray! It's wonderful that it was as you imagined and desired.

Val said...

Thank you again, Chad. :)

kericronin said...

Huge congrats! I'm so behind on my blog reading that I'm just getting to this now. Wishing you both all the best!

Val said...

Thank you, Keri! :)

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Val, how sweet the two of you look. Best wishes for decades of marital bliss and happiness!

Val said...

Thank you, Sandra. :) ♥♥