Saturday, October 20, 2012

Sweet Autumn Weekend (or Val's Homebody Activities)

A sweet and simple fall weekend ahead:  Lunch with Mike in a few hours, a walk home through the leaves, and then a quiet night reading and catching up on my letter-writing.  These are what my ex-boyfriend used to call "Val's Homebody Activities."  :)  I gathered a bunch of especially pretty leaves this morning to include in the letters I'll be mailing Monday, and I've found both a sweet card for Aunt Laurie and the perfect anniversary card for my parents.  "Whenever we're together, blessings are served," reads Aunt Laurie's card, and the illustrations inside and out are of two bears talking over tea and of a flowers-and-pie-filled tea cart.  The Psalm verse "God has given us these times of joy" is printed on the inside, and especially since this will be the first mail I'll have sent her since our little gnome party three weeks ago, the card is perfect.  Mom and Dad's depicts one rabbit serenading another outside their cottages, and if ever a card looked like Mom, this is it.  Mom found me and Aunt Laurie sheets of autumn-themed stickers during our visit, and if I can part with them, they'll be on this weekend's letters soon.  (Pink Coneflower stickers!  Be still my heart!)  Cards and stickers are the only things I really enjoy shopping for, and I hit the jackpot with all these.  And tomorrow is Apple Cobbler Day because I'm hoping I can use it to bribe Mike into playing a game of Life with me.  I recently found the 1980s version of it that my brothers and I used to have, and I am willing to set aside Maple leaves and Chrysanthemum stickers long enough to fill a plastic car with pink and blue peg-people and then inherit a skunk farm.   (I always inherit the skunk farm.)  Sweatshirts, space heaters, and lap quilts on and rain all weekend.  These are my favorite kind of (fall) days.  



7 comments:

FlowerLady said...

Those fall leaves are beautiful. Enjoy your day and all the things you have planned to do. It sounds like a comforting day.

Hugs ~ FlowerLady

Thistle Cove Farm said...

"Homebody Activities"...Val, such a sweet phrase and so appropriate. That's one reason I love autumn, it slips every so delicately into winter and the deep sleep filled with "homebody activities".

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

I love fall and homebody activities, too.

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

I love fall and homebody activities, too.

asmplelife said...

Those leaves are beautiful, Val! And it sounds like a perfectly lovely weekend you had!

CACHANILLA73 said...

Ohhh I miss so much the fall walks on the leaves.... I love love love the Gnome Party... very well done.

Val said...

Thank you all much! ♥