Saturday, October 27, 2012

A Place for Everything

I woke up at 4:45 this morning feeling rested for the first time in days, if not weeks, so I got up and started straightening up the apartment while Mike slept.  I read an article a couple weeks ago about sugar's negative effects on the immune system and decided to cut it out from my diet for awhile to see if it helps, since I seem to be sick more often than not.  I've been this way for ages--my mom called me Typhoid Mary as a kid because I was sick so often--and it seems to be getting worse as I get older, so I figured giving up sugar was worth a shot.  (As an aside, did you know that "Typhoid Mary" was a real person?  And what a sad story hers is.  My goodness.)  The combination of the sugar-withdrawal and a flu shot last weekend have had me completely wiped out lately, but so far, so good today, so this morning has been spent putting away groceries and dishes that had accumulated in teetering piles on our one kitchen counter and on our dining table and otherwise organizing some of the odds and ends that had been making our little apartment feel out-of-control and annoying this month.   Cookbooks tucked back onto shelves.  Mixing bowls re-stacked.  Kitchen floor scrubbed.  Plants re-potted and watered.  Paints and stationery sorted.  It always feels so good to get things done.  'Nothing like a to-do list with a bunch of check-marks and crossed-off items.

7 comments:

FlowerLady said...

I love the look of your place, happy and homey.

Hope you continue to feel good.

Love and hugs ~ FlowerLady

Lisa said...

What a cozy place you have! Ooh, that cupboard. :D I admire your going cold turkey - not easy to do, Val.
Glad you could get so many things done!

Are you ready for Sandy???

Val said...

Hi, Lorraine and Lisa--

Thank you! The apartment's really coming along now. :) It has a good feeling.

Lisa, I'll have to do a post about the patchwork cupboard. It was a fun little project.

And yes, we're as ready for the storm as we're going to be. Neither Mike nor I have to drive anywhere (and don't have a car anyway) and we live close to our grocery store, so we don't have the worries others do about the weather. I hope neither of you are hit too hard by it. ♥

Nellie said...

You were quite energetic early this morning! I was still snoozing.:)

Stay safe during this storm!

Tania said...

Hi Val! Wow...4:45...that's super early! But, early bird catches the worm! There is nothing nicer than getting ahead with an early start! I'm glad to hear you're feeling better, and I hope it continues so! Love, love, love your cosy home. It looks so inviting! Tania ♥

Thistle Cove Farm said...

What a cozy post, Val, thoroughly enjoyable. Too much sugar plays havoc with my body which is awful because I enjoy those flavored coffee creamers.
-smile-

Val said...

Thank you all. ♥ :)