Thursday, January 5, 2012

I Wish Her the Shire

Mom's birthday was yesterday, and our phone call left me wishing I could send her some carefree days with her beloved hobbits: Frequent tea and snack breaks, warm sunshine and flower gardens, long visits with good friends. . . .Mom has been battling Lyme Disease since last summer, and although she and Dad went out for supper and a movie last night, her tremors were quite severe throughout, making it a little less enjoyable. "I was glad I was in a dark theater!" she reported today. Another doctor appointment this morning and yet another in three weeks. It could be worse, and we all know that, but I'd take away the past six months of stress and illness for her if I could, no matter what it may be teaching all of us. I'm only human, and she's my mama: I just wish her happy days.

In the package I mailed her Tuesday, I included along with the cuddly floor-length blue gingham robe, gluten-free and dairy-free chocolate chip cookies, and other goodies, my latest salt dough ornament, a birthday gnome. :) I added a Daisy, Mom's favorite flower, to his hat, and made him a card to hold, and she oohed and ahhed over it when we talked. It was the smallest thing in her package but also what she got the biggest kick out of, as I'd expected. And that made me quite happy. 

Maybe by next January, Mom's illness will all be but a memory, and maybe it will go on for years. No one knows, of course. In the meantime, I send her hopes and prayers, cookies and tea bags, blue checkered bath robes and well-wishing gnomes. I send her love. 

13 comments:

Carol said...

Hoping for a speedy and full recovery!

Val said...

Thank you, Carol. :)

FlowerLady said...

Happy Birthday to your Mom from me, with lots of love, hugs and prayers.

Bless your sweet heart Val,

FlowerLady

Lisa said...

I didn't know tremors were a part of that - poor lady.
Good job on the gnome - he's enough to cheer anyone!

June said...

What a sweet daughter you are Val! Your little gnome has got to bring her smiles every day! I hope your mom recovers fully very soon and has many good days soon.
hugs from here...

Val said...

Thank you all so very much. :)

Pierre BOYER said...

Great funny gift... :-)
I wish you an Happy New Year !
Best wishes from France,

Pierre

Val said...

Thank you, Pierre. :)

Nellie said...

Happy belated birthday to your Mom from me, and I wish her recovery to move quickly! What a special birthday present! Love the little gnome!

Val said...

Thank you, Nellie. :) That little gnome turned out better than I'd expected. You should see the ornament I made of me-and-Mike-in-our-wedding-clothes: Ha! A small disaster, but I'm keeping it anyway and have it hanging on our Christmas tree, to Mike's dismay. ;)

asmplelife said...

You are a very sweet and loving daughter! Every mom should have one like you =]

Your gnome came out so cute and Mom must have just loved it. I know if one of my children made me something like that, I would carry it around with me. Nicely done, Val.

asmplelife said...

You are a very sweet and loving daughter! Every mom should have one like you =]

Your gnome came out so cute and Mom must have just loved it. I know if one of my children made me something like that, I would carry it around with me. Nicely done, Val.

Val said...

Thank you, Cheryl. :) I just read a couple of your posts about your own dear Mom. ♥ I know you understand. xoxo and thank you for your sweet words, :) Val