Thursday, September 1, 2011

Yankees-Red Sox = Best! Fight! Ever!

Swistle recently asked her readers about recurring arguments they have with their loved ones that would seem stupid to people outside the relationship. Boy howdy! Can we all say "Yankees-Red Sox" in unison? Tonight's game is the last of the teams' series this week, and I am just grateful I missed even one game due to this week's work schedule. Mike is a Yankees fan. And that is all the necessary back-story for what became our first fight. One night a few months after Mike and I had started dating in 2007, Boston beat New York and Mike ranted so much post-game that I felt like I was suddenly living with a stranger--and a crazy raging stranger, at that. "Why can't you just be happy for them?" I asked. "They went how-many-years without doing well and they're such a good team now. Why can't you just be happy for them and their fans?!?" Mike goggled at me speechless as if he'd just watch me sprout a second head. Apparently, my question was The Dumbest Question Ever, and upon seeing his reaction to my own, we were off to the races!

Because this is one of "those" fights, it couldn't have ended easily or quickly. Oh, no. At least an hour later, we were still at it, not getting much further than my "Why can't you just be happy for them?" and his "Because I hate them." Mike got more and more red-faced as I elaborated, "I know they're not your favorite team--I get that. But after they've been the underdogs for so long, why can't you just think, 'Well, yeah, I'd be happier if the Yankees had won, but good for them! They played well, and this has to be sweet for their fans'? Why can't you just look at it like that?" Mike continued ranting and raving in disbelief, intermittently shouting winner comments like "You just don't get it!" and "I just can't talk about this with you!" until I really thoroughly disliked him and went to bed crying in frustration. And I hadn't even cared who won, if this is unclear. I was just stunned by his adamant hatred of a group of ball players, for goodness sakes, and with his complete inability to articulate it beyond, basically, "I just do." So I retreated to bed and lay there crying and thinking that we were going to break up over this and wondered which other neighborhood I could move to in this new-to-me city, and then I would cry harder imagining scenes of bumping into him around town and the awkward post-breakup conversations we would have. . . .Mike and I had been friends for nine years before we'd even started dating, mind you, so the idea that I thought we'd break up over a Red Sox victory is ludicrous, but so it goes.

He felt bad that I was crying, of course, and came to me, and I took that as an opportunity to try once more--!!--to "resolve" this between us. ("Why sleep on it when you can drag it out until you can't stand each other" was my motto in the early days of our relationship, apparently.) So I started again: "Even if you don't like them, can't you just enjoy watching them play? I don't like football, but I can watch a player run fast or make a good catch or throw the ball what looks like a mile and be impressed by it! Can't you just forget about who they are or who they're playing and just enjoy their talent and skill and power?" Mike looked like his head was about to explode by this point, and likely only because I was working as a breakfast cook at the time and had to get up just a few hours later, we finally dropped it and went to sleep, although probably not without making a few energetic neck-wringing gestures to the other's back.

Tonight, I just say "Oh boy" and otherwise ignore him when he yells at the TV during the game, although there are nights I randomly yell "Gooooooooooo, Red Sox!" just to liven things up around here. :)

11 comments:

Lisa said...

Ah, Val, I can see you "just don't get it"! - well, that was my immediate reaction.
You are soft-hearted, but most people aren't like you.

The Red Sox-Yankees thing is too deep, I think, for you to do anything about it!

As a Boston fan, I used to HATE THE YANKEES - that's what we're supposed to do. But I have to admit that watching the World Series year after year (during Joe Torre's management) I came to realize that they were human after all, and some of them nice guys, like Derek Jeter, and Joe Torre himself.
Also, I heard someone say that the Red Sox always rooted for them, because they would naturally want the American League team to win the Series. So!! I think that's what really did it for me; if the Red Sox can root for the Yanks, then what the hell am I being bothered about??? Ya know what I mean???????????????

So, that was the end of that for me. But I have to say that when the Sox finally won the Series, I SAW IT WITH MY OWN EYES (on TV) - I thought I would not live to see the day.

Well, that's my two cents! :)

Love, Lisa

Val said...

Oh, Lisa! You're right--I don't get it, I guess. I do, but I don't, you know. :) And yes about their 2004 win. I was so happy for all you Boston fans. :)

Carol said...

Oh yeah, you really don't get it. :-)

I remember someone writing a letter to the editor of our local newspaper wondering why people at the hockey game got mad at her for cheering both teams when they made a goal. She couldn't understand the reaction at all.

I wish more people would have your attitude toward kid's sports, though. We had to confront a mother at our daughter's Little League game for yelling nasty stuff at the opposing pitcher. That kind of behavior is one thing at a pro game, quite another at a kid's game.

cj said...

what a beautiful blog site you have! Oh, the fights! I think the worst ones are about the silliest things. I don't know, maybe not. Not being from a fighting family, course my brothers were 11yrs and 7 years older than me, and my parents divorced when I was 4, I was pretty much alone, Mom worked at a hotel coffee shop, so worked odd hours, holidays were spent at the coffee shop, I usually always had fish for Christmas! but back to what we were talking about! I married an Italian! What a difference! whew! Plus he is an only child! I literally stole his Mamas baby boy away from her! 27 yrs old! And he of course inherited her temper! But, after 40 years of marriage this month, we haven't really fought in years. So,... yes it does get better. Just consider how nice the making up can be!!!

CACHANILLA73 said...

LOL.... have you seen the movie Fever Pitch??? this post reminded me of it : ) I absolutely love that movie. And I hope this won't break our new found affinity..... I am a NY Yankees fan.... oh no!!! he he he...... After all I lived in Central NY for several years and I loved it!!! I miss NY so much.... I really don't get into all that craziness but I am a loyal fan.

Val said...

Carol, yes about parents' behavior at sporting events. And I'd cheer both teams for making goals too, I'm sure. :)

cj, thank you about the blog. :)

And Cotty, I'm sure we can still be friends. ;) I haven't seen Fever Pitch. I'll check it out sometime while Mike's away. ;)

CACHANILLA73 said...

Oh Val you should see the movie... I love it... I watch it ever time I can. I curl up in my bed or the couch with a cozy blanket and a snack and it relax me....

Oh and I'm glad we can still be friends.. ;)

Val said...

I didn't realize it was originally a book by Nick Hornby--I love his writing. I'll definitely check it out now. Thank you, Cotty. :)

CACHANILLA73 said...

I didn't know either!!! I gonna find that book ;)

asmplelife said...

Oh my. I can only imagine your husband's response when you cheer on the Red Sox to liven things up! What a great sense of humor on you =]

Val said...

:)