Friday, September 16, 2016

Thursday's Project

What I thought was going to be a fast-moving task yesterday turned into an all-evening project I'm now aiming to finish this Sunday.  The button-covered lampshade I'd loved for so long--
 --has annoyed me lately every time I've looked at it, and before I'd even realized that yesterday was Lampshade Re-Do Day, I found myself pulling it up from its base and peeling off the first of what soon seemed like five hundred buttons. 
All but the top ring of buttons is gone.  The bottom four tiers of ruffled fabric pieces are almost all in place now.  Pink roses fabric, green gingham fabric, and I-don't-know-yet-what-other fabric will make the top few ruffles.  And maybe ball-trim around the bottom.  Ideally, by Sunday night, a finished lampshade will again be atop the base of my reading lamp, the layers of fabric softening the light more than buttons-on-white-canvas ever could and the rainbow of colors and patterns cozy-ing-up its corner of my bedroom. 
Ah!  Anything patchwork-ish! 

9 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What a neat project, but taking off all of those buttons would have been a pain that's for sure. The patchwork looks like your sweet style for sure.

Have a great weekend ~ FlowerLady

Lisa said...

Your fabrics are very pretty - it looks good so far, Val!

La Table De Nana said...

Cute cute cute:)

racheld said...

Awwww! Simply charming, and I'd know it was YOURS if there were dozens to choose from.

I'm still trying to get a moment to polish up the entire little brass/glass chandelier over the dining area downstairs. Ordered pretty pink silk shades for the five arms, and swore to ME that I would not install them till the whole thing is windexed and polished and worthy of the new skirts.

so with this inspiration---maybe today~

r

Val said...

Thank you all. :) 'Am hoping to finish it tomorrow, but we'll see. 'Hardly any time this weekend to work on it.

Lisa, the fabrics are all from my stash here. I've used the orange gingham on a bunch of things since 2006-2007-ish, the green dotted Swiss-type fabric is also at least that old--it was an already-vintage polyester dress with a pointed collar in a past life--the aqua floral fabric is what used to cover the desk-skirt here, and the pink calico/floral is/was a handkerchief Mom found me a few years back. I'm not spending a penny on the lamp-re-do. 'Using some of my fabric stash, like you're always trying to also. :)

Val said...

And good luck, Rachel. The pink shades with glass sounds so pretty.

Blondie's Journal said...

This is such a sweet project and your fabric is so colorful and happy! I wouldn't expect anything less from you! :-D

Jane

Jenny Pesavento said...

Your lamp re-do looks darling Val! Hope you share the finished look 😃 I have a similar shade on my bedside lamp that could use a new look-inspired and thinking about this because of you 💖 are you gluing the fabric onto the shade?

Val said...

Thank you, Jane. :)

Jenny, yes--I'm just hot-gluing all the fabric on. As slowly as I sew, this is much easier. :) Thank you. :)