Thursday, December 24, 2015

Merry Christmas Eve

My favorite day of the year.  This Christmas Eve feels strange both because of my sleep/work schedule and because of the weather:  I just woke up a little after 4 pm after having worked last night, and it is still 51° outside as I write this at 7:30 pm.  We have a fan on in here and all the windows  wide open and I have yet to turn on the stove or oven for supper-cooking and cookie-baking.  Odd day.  Mike and I both got to see our families this past week although each visit was too brief.  And yes, Mom and Dad loved their "Alice Otter."  Mom squealed and squealed while pulling the white tissue paper away from it as she opened the package, and she was as tickled with Alice's doily-cap as I was.  :)  Mike and I also made her and Dad a cd of "their" songs from 1968 when they finally met for the first time when he was on leave from the service and a few others of their favorite songs--"Wichita Lineman" by Glen Campbell, "Crimson and Clover" by Tommy James and the Shondells,  "Both Sides Now" by Judy Collins, "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" by Marvin Gaye, "For Once in My Life" by Stevie Wonder, "Heart of Gold" by Neil Young, "Cherish" by Kool and the Gang, and a few more--and that was a big hit with them too.    I managed to get tomorrow off work, as well, so it will be a late and happy night of cooking, baking, Emmet Otter-watching, and gift-wrapping here.  I eagerly await the moment it will suddenly--just like that!--feel like Christmas.  So far tonight, it feels more like just a happy and festive night off from work, but the moment is coming. . . .A merry Christmas to everyone celebrating, and a peaceful night and weekend to you all. 

3 comments:

Gary said...

Enjoy your time off Val. All best wishes to you and yours x

Lisa said...

Only 51, Val? Here it's almost sixty, at eight 0'clock. What a day! Very pleasant, but we have to try harder to look within doors for the Christmas feeling, don't we? I'm sitting here in my bare sandaled feet.

But, a very Happy Christmas to you, Val dear! xoxo (Dolly and Henry also send their best.)

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Dear sweet Val ~ I enjoyed this happy post of yours. Glad you have today, Christmas, off from work.

May your day be filled with lots of love, peace & joy ~ FlowerLady

P.S. it is 6:12 a.m. EST, and the temp is 78, high expected later 83 and will feel like it's 91. I am thankful for air-conditioning.