Friday, October 16, 2015

Seven Nice Things

I was nursing a headache most of yesterday--yes, my turn, Lisa!--but am feeling better today for Day Off #2 and have gotten a lot done.  And am just enjoying myself.  Seven sweet things this week:

1.)  'Am still working on my 80s childhood memoir.  Loving!  It!    That pile of paper scraps in the photo above is all the remaining notes that need to be turned into index cards--which will later be turned into "real" writing.  The pile has shrunk so much since I started this in earnest earlier this year.  My goal for the rest of today is to get as many scraps onto cards as possible so I can move on to the filling-the-notebooks-with-rough-drafts stage of things.  Progress!

2.)  The building manager and a plumber had to stop by earlier this week for routine winter-prep radiator maintenance, and as I welcomed them in,  the plumber glanced around and unexpectedly greeted me with "Oh, I like it in here!  It's very family-oriented!" and moments later commented, "It smells really good in here too!" as he left.  I hardly knew what to say besides thank you, but both remarks made me laugh.  A sweet encounter.  

3.)  A coworker left a thank you on my note that accompanied the cookies I'd brought into work last week and later thanked me in-person.  A day-brightener for me. 
5.)  Chicago Cubs in the World Series playoffs!  I'm not wildly enthusiastic about any one team--I tend to wish them all well--and it would have been a treat for Dad if his Pirates had advanced in the playoffs, but how fun to see the Cubs and their fans having such a great ride this fall.  

6.)  This pup, an English Yellow Lab--
--is now my younger brother's dog.  So sweet!    My brother, his wife, and somehow-almost-two-year-old Bianca have all wanted a dog for ages, and this one looks so dear. 

7.)  Chilly fall weather has returned, and with it, a pot on the stove here of simmering cinnamon water.  Today's mix is simply cinnamon with vanilla, but as I finish my iced teas while I write this afternoon, I'll throw in the lemon slices too.  Snow flurries and a frost warning are in the forecast for the next few days.  Oh, fall!  Love, love, love.  

'Back to the index cards.  'A sweet weekend to you all. 

6 comments:

donna baker said...

Very productive day I'd say. Dog looks perfect and we had our first blue norther come through last night. Have to get winter clothes out soon.

La Table De Nana said...

You are just so sweet:)

Lisa said...

What a wonderful thing to hear from the plumber, Val. Wow.

I'm very sorry to hear you had a headache. No nausea, I hope. I also hope you don't have snow - I know you're enjoying this, but it's too early for snow, Val. (how do you make a stern emoticon?) haha

I really must remember to simmer some nice fragrances on the stove come the colder weather - maybe Sunday! I especially love allspice. Take care!

Marie Rayner said...

Oh Val, I just love your six things. I can just picture it all and am glad that you headache is gone. I love this time of year when the season of canoodling begins. Love and hugs to you! xoxo

Thistle Cove Farm said...

You're making lots of progress...well done! the cozy comments last a long while...love it when people come to my house, can ignore the animal mess and say, "your home is so warm and welcoming". those sweet comments last ages!

Val said...

Thank you all. What fun comments. I love hearing everyone's "fall mentions"--blue northers, winter clothes, allspice, canoodling, and "ignore the animal mess"--Yes, Sandra. :) I love all this. ♥