Thursday, February 11, 2016

On Its Way to a Neighbor

While out walking a couple weeks ago, I noticed the heart-shaped Ivy leaves growing along the front of a house.  I paused to take a few pictures of them, and while crouched down to get the right angle, I heard someone call out, "Is something interesting?"  I felt a momentary flutter of panic then realized I could hear a smile in the voice.  I looked up and saw a woman backing her car into the house's driveway while she waited for my response.  I explained that the Ivy had heart-shaped leaves and that they were too striking not to photograph.  Still smiling, she said she was glad to hear that something on her property was photogenic.  She had been living there for more than forty years, she went on, and it was nice to hear that other people saw things they liked about it.  The property is beautiful, so I easily found more than a couple other "photogenic" things to mention about it.  "Are you a professional photographer?" was her next question.  I explained about my walks and how the camera makes them more fun for me, and as I gestured to her Ivy again, she commented that the picture would make a nice Valentine.  She was quite right, so after making a mental note of her house's number, I had the photo made into a greeting card last week and I mailed it out to her address this morning.  I have been wrong about things like this before, but I am guessing this pleasant person will not mind the surprise. 

11 comments:

Lisa said...

Wonderful, Val!

Val said...

Thank you, Lisa. It felt good to mail it.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What a great story Val.

Happy Valentine's day to you ~ FlowerLady

Val said...

Thank you, Lorraine. And to you! ♥

La Table De Nana said...

You must brighten your neighbourhood tenfold!

Marie Rayner said...

I am positive that your most thoughtful and loving gesture will be a happy and sweet surprise! You are a treasure Val. We should all be so kind and thoughtful. Xoxo

Val said...

Thank you, Monique and Marie. ♥

Amy said...

Well, if *I* got a bit teary-eyed at your sweet gesture, I have no doubt your neighbor did as well. :) I know a little acknowledgement goes a long way sometimes.

....wishing you a happy day!

Val said...

Thank you, Amy. :) I hope you're doing well. I miss your blog-writing.

TiffanyJane said...

Awwww that is so sweet :) I too notice the heart shape leaf to ivy {I have always had ivy in my yard, so pretty and hearty {ha, no pun intended :)
Such the simple things in life can makes life grand.
Happy Sunday~
Tiff

Val said...

Thank you, Tiff. :) 'Hope you and the kiddos are doing well. :)