Thursday, April 16, 2015

Daffodil Cupcakes and Random Acts of Kindness

In the wee hours of the morning, I baked and decorated two fondant Daffodil-topped cupcakes--Daffodils were my bridal bouquet flower--so Mike and I could share from afar a belated anniversary dessert while I'm at work tonight.  Ooh ahh, I was quite pleased with these little cakes, and pride goeth before the fall, for they tipped over and into each other right before I took this picture.  Then after prying them away from each other and fixing the frosting and flowers as best I could--notice the careful placement of our wedding cake topper--I decided to try a bite of mine, since it was already looking the worse for wear, and Disappointment Number Two was that the new-to-me white cake recipe I used for these had produced cupcakes that tasted like Play-Doh--and had the same consistency.  Anniversary dessert FAIL!  We are going out this weekend, though, and there is a Krispy Kreme doughnut shop along the way, so maybe I will treat Mike to bakery-made anniversary doughnuts instead. 
A sweeter-than-smooshed-Play-Doh-cupcakes anniversary surprise came a couple years back while Mike and I were out for breakfast.  As we ate, the woman in another couple in the restaurant called over to us, "Will your meal cost at least [such-and-such amount]?"  I was wondering why someone would ask a stranger such a thing when she continued, "If  it will, we have a half-off coupon you can use."  And she brought it over to our table, and we four talked and laughed for a moment, and that kindness became one of the highlights of our anniversary and remains one of my favorite anniversary memories. 

13 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

Poor you all that work!

You need to have a stand alone white cae recipe... have one:)
Easy peasy.
No fail.

Val said...

I do, Monique, but I had to try this egg-free recipe because I knew Mike would want me to save the last two eggs for his breakfast. :) Someone even wrote in the receipe's reviews that the consistency was odd, but did I listen? Nooooooooooo. :)

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Those daffodils are oh so sweet. Sorry the cake wasn't all that great.

FlowerLady

Teresa Schubert said...

Val'
So sorry your cupcakes weren't tasty, but they were oh so beautiful!! That has to count for something right? Krispy Kreme..yumm :-)
Teresa
sugar, spice and whatever's nice

Val said...

Thank you, Lorraine and Teresa. :) Mike isn't even particularly a cake fan--he prefers pies--so it mattered only to me, really.

Anonymous said...

Those daffodils were beautiful, Val! And I am glad there are Krispy Kreme doughnut on the horizon!

How kind and fun that you were slipped a half-off coupon for your celebration dinner! Sweet!

Love,
Lily

Val said...

Thank you, Lily. It really was such a sweet gesture. And I've never had Krispy Kreme doughnuts. It sounds like they're really something to look forward to. Mike loves them and was looking at their online menu last night. :)

Nellie said...

Anniversary celebrations need to be more than just one day.:-) Enjoy your dinner out this week-end. xo

Marie Rayner said...

Oh what a shame the cake recipe wasn't a good one. :-( I think your wee cakes are cute despite having fallen over or knocked together, etc. I am sure that they were very much appreciated irregardless. I think they are beautiful! You put so much thought into everything you do. It's one of the things I really love about you! xoxo

Barb Cowles said...

Val, I love your blog because you share the wins and the not-so-wins which happen to all of us. Thank you. Krispy Kreme--YES! Barb

Thistle Cove Farm said...

the kindness of strangers is exceptionally sweet. Happy Anniversary, Val and Mike; may you celebrate many more in good health and happiness.

Val said...

Thank you very much, Marie, Barb, and Sandra. :) ♥

Val said...

Thank you too, Nellie! :)