Tuesday, December 23, 2014

The surveyor's house was full of secrets. ~ the opening of the Christmas Eve chapter of Laura Ingalls Wilder's _By the Shores of Silver Lake_

One of the Christmas traditions that my dad and I laugh about how is how Mom still leaves a "Keep out!" note on top of her blanket-covered pile of Christmas presents in the basement even though my dad is the only person she lives with now that my brothers and I are all out of the house.  "Who are these notes of hers addressed to?!" my dad muses when I return home each December.  "I'm almost seventy years old!  I'm not going to snoop!"  Mom still makes her little warning sign every winter, though, and what makes it funny is that Dad and I laugh at her for doing this but also leave notes of our own.  My "Keep out!" is above, and it remains wedged year-round into an antique suitcase in my former bedroom's closet, since I sometimes buy gifts during my visits throughout the year and just store them at my parents' house until Christmas. Mom's note, below, contains no smiley faces or hearts, however.  She means business.
She is also artistic in her approach, clearly.  A very Mom-like combination of Don't-you-dare-ruin-your-Christmas-surprises! and Ooh!-Christmas!-Here's-a-cute-little-tree!  And Dad. . . .Well, Dad takes a different tack, and one that is all the more amusing both because he is so affronted by Mom's note-writing each December and because Mom is the only person to whom he could be addressing his own words:
The Ingalls family, we are not.  :)  But our Christmas home is, indeed, full of secrets every year.    And Mom and Dad (and brothers and sisters-in-law and niece and nephew, as well) loved Emmet, yes.  :)  That was one of the sweetest and most fun gift-giving moments I've ever had.  Oh, how everyone laughed as they inspected him!  Sweet, sweet, sweet.  One of my all-time favorite Christmas memories. 
And now off to make some more.  Christmas Eve tomorrow, my favorite day of the year! 

5 comments:

Gary said...

What a wonderful story about the 'keep out' notices. Have a wonderful and peaceful Christmas.

Marie Rayner said...

Happy Christmas Val. You do make me smile. I hope you have the loveliest of celebrations with your family. May you be truly blessed! xoxo

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

I laughed right out loud when I read your Dad's keep out msg.

Great photo of you and your Mom. Here eyes are twinkling as she holds your dearly created Emmet.

Have a wonderful Christmas dear Val.

FlowerLady

La Table De Nana said...

Sweet photo..I agree..So lucky to have each other..cherish every moment.
A very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you.

Val said...

Thank you all. Happy holidays to you all, as well! ♥