Friday, October 17, 2014

October: Heaven is under our feet as well as over our heads.

Thoreau wrote that in winter, but it never fails to come to my mind in the fall.  Glory, glory, this beautiful season!  And may I just say how tickled I am by that photo!  It looks like my shadow is holding a bouquet of flowers in its left arm. 
Oh, fall!  I just love it so much. 
After a couple months of collecting books and book character toys and dolls for the school, I finally walked over to the post office this afternoon to mail everything out.  As I arrived, I ran into my former fellow cook, Warren, from my last job.  Mike and I had just been talking about him last night, as something reminded me of the time a little girl, maybe four years old, came into the restaurant with her parents with a realistic-looking, almost taxidermy-like stuffed frog in her arms.  "She carries that everywhere," her mom explained as Warren and I smiled at the girl and her odd stuffed animal.  Warren asked the girl what the frog's name was, and she replied, "Tony."  :)  He and I made it back into the kitchen before we started laughing, but the more we kept repeating it to each other--"Tony!  Tony the Frog!"--the funnier it became.  Another laugh together on the sidewalk today, then, now seven years later.    Getting more books and characters to the kids made me happy.  Having a sweet conservation with the post office clerk as she weighed my first box made me happy.  ("You didn't CARRY this here, did you?"  ~  "Oh, yes.  I don't have a car, so I walk everything over here."  [This clerk always comments on how she sees me out on my walks all the time, but she didn't know until today that I walk my packages over too.]  ~  "Well, you GO, Girl!  You'll be building up those arm muscles!  And exercising your legs!  Well, it's all good!"  She makes me laugh, and it's always a treat to see her.)   On my second walk to the post office, a kind man raced to get ahead of me so he could hold the door as I juggled box number two.  That also made me happy. 
I treated myself to a chocolate almond bar on my way home.  As I stopped to snap a picture of the pumpkin display outside the store, another customer asked me if I knew of a good place where she could buy a milkshake.  That I actually had the answer to her question made me laugh--Hey!  Here's someone leaving the store with a chocolate bar and taking pictures of pumpkins!  She must know where good ice cream can be found!  And bingo!  She does!--and the woman seemed to see the humor in it too, which made it even better.  There are days when everyone seems to be on the same pages--the sky is a deep blue, the trees and sidewalks are autumn-awesome, it is seventy-five degrees outside, so let's all just be good to each other and enjoy this life--and today was one of those days.  And this was one of this fall's sweetest walks so far. 

11 comments:

jo(e) said...

Love those photos! Fall certainly is a beautiful season. I am going to go outside tomorrow and take photos of my shadow on the leafy lawn.

Val said...

Thank you, jo(e). :) Enjoy (your day off, I assume) tomorrow!

Balisha said...

I hardly know you, but I know that we would be good friends. You inspire me to do good deeds, Just think how many children you touch with those books. Every child should have a book...and there are those who don't even have one.
Balisha

La Table De Nana said...

Love days like that..those..these:)

I can picture you w/ the books etc:) and all the pleasant people..

Lisa said...

Nice photos, Val - esp. the one with the stairs.

Isn't this fall so bright? It is here - way more colorful than usual.

Years ago a little girl at the library told me she had a pet salamander (or whatever he was) named Gary. HA! I still laugh at the idea - the last name, the very last name for such a creature, in my view. I'm glad you had such a pleasant walk!

Marie Rayner said...

Val, I am loving your autumn days. I need to go for a walk about our area and drink it all in. I don't venture far out of our garden these days it seems. Loved all your little joys and smiles. They made me smile too. I am so admiring of your generosity in giving so abundantly to the school library. You amaze me girl! xxoo

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What a happy post with wonderful photos. It does look like your shadow is holding a bouquet of flowers. That is really neat!

Happy Autumn Val ~ FlowerLady

Anonymous said...

Val, your post was full of smiles. Thank you! It was such fun to read and enjoy the comradery and fellowship you had with people all around you.

I love the idea of sending books to school libraries. They are such amazing places to children just learning to read. Thank you for doing it. I think I will bundle up a couple of books from my personal children's library and send them off to a Niece's Granddaughter. She is only 2 but loves to look at and have books read to her! Thanks for a reminder to put books into the hands of children.
Love,
Lily♪♫•*•.¸♥

Here it a great idea for a little library for those who live in a community setting where it could work! I think it will make you smile – it did me!

I first saw it here: http://kellyraeroberts.blogspot.com/2012/07/little-free-library.html
That blogger saw it here: http://www.jessicaswift.com/_blog/treasuring/post/little_free_libraries/
It all started here: http://littlefreelibrary.org/

(My comments will not usually be so long – Sowee!)

Anonymous said...

Val, your post was full of smiles. Thank you! It was such fun to read and enjoy the comradery and fellowship you had with people all around you.

I love the idea of sending books to school libraries. They are such amazing places to children just learning to read. Thank you for doing it. I think I will bundle up a couple of books from my personal children's library and send them off to a Niece's Granddaughter. She is only 2 but loves to look at and have books read to her! Thanks for a reminder to put books into the hands of children.
Love,
Lily♪♫•*•.¸♥

Here it a great idea for a little library for those who live in a community setting where it could work! I think it will make you smile – it did me!

I first saw it here: http://kellyraeroberts.blogspot.com/2012/07/little-free-library.html
That blogger saw it here: http://www.jessicaswift.com/_blog/treasuring/post/little_free_libraries/
It all started here: http://littlefreelibrary.org/
(I don’t seem to be able to put an active link here but you could put these into Google search and the first listed site should be the post!)

(My comments will not usually be so long – Hope you don't mind -Sowee!)

Amy said...

How much do I love seeing all those leaves in such great colors! I don't get much of that down here in Texas...

Val said...

Thank you all so much. :) I have read and reread all your comments--Thank you.

Lisa, how funny about Gary the Salamader. Ha! Yes! :)

And Lily, thank you--and I have thought about doing the Little Free Library project and having my dad build the boxes. I'll probably do this at some point. It is such a great idea, I know. :) I love that people thought of it in the first place.

Thank you all. ♥♥