Monday, January 27, 2014

I hope that in this year to come, you make mistakes. Because if you are making mistakes, then you are making new things, trying new things, learning, living, pushing yourself, changing yourself, changing your world. ~ Neil Gaiman

Tonight is Camera-Learning Night here.  Mike bought me a (pink!) digital camera for Christmas, and I haven't had enough free time before today to sit down with it and figure it out.  I've taken almost every picture since 2007 with the camera on either his phone or mine and decided last fall that it was time to learn to use a real camera.  Mike's phone takes great pictures, but unless he's home with me at the time I want to photograph something, pictures don't happen.  And my own phone is an old flip-phone from 2007, so every now and then, I get lucky with it and get a picture I'm happy with, but only if I'm a few inches away from my subject, and even then, only sometimes.  Taking outdoor pictures or any kind of landscape or larger-view pictures has never really been possible for me, which has been an everyday disappointment.  To own a camera now that I can take along on my walks--it is only 3.5 inches x 2 inches, perfect to keep in my pocket while I'm out--delights me.  This one doesn't look exceptionally complicated, but there is still everything to learn with it, and that makes me quite happy as I think about the year ahead. 

12 comments:

Balisha said...

Such a cute camera...and it's pink! Good luck with your new toy.
Balisha

La Table De Nana said...

It's very you..and I look forward to seeing the new pics..
Enjoy..and enjoy learning..it is half the fun and 100% brain power.

Val said...

Thank you both. :) This is the year I plan to learn crochet too. I tried on my own last year and didn't get anywhere, so this year: Lessons.

Art and Sand said...

I love your quote.

Our family was skiing in Utah over the last few days and our son decided to switch from snowboarding to skiing - a good thing because Alta does not allow snowboards. On the last afternoon, our son tweaked his knee trying something new. He was proud of himself because he said it meant he was pushing himself.

Love your sweet little pink camera. I had a similar one in blue that I loved, but my husband tipped over in his kayak when he was using it and it died.

Nellie said...

Very cute camera, Val! You will have fun learning to use it! xo Nellie

Blondie's Journal said...

What a very sweet gift from Mike! :)

I started with a camera like this, and although it's not hard to learn about it, you can never lose taking your time and really reading up on it. And practice, practice, practice!! I practice on my dogs a lot!!

XO,
Jane

The Favorite Things Guy said...

Mine is blue and I love it! Has lasted me for years. Enjoy!

Marie said...

Nice camera Val! I got a new camera last year and still have not come to terms with it. I am sure had I someone to teach me exactly how to use it I would get so much more from it. Apparently I can move my photos right from the camera directly online, but I have no idea how to do it! The mind boggles! xxoo

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Dear Val ~ Enjoy your new camera. What a lovely gift from Mike and one you are going to get so much joy from using.

I have a Canon PowerShot A650 IS and love it. I've had it a few years now and still don't know all that it can do. I'd love to try my hand at video one of these days, procrastination, and fear have kept me from trying. We bought my camera for it's macro capabilities as I love taking pictures of flowers and butterflies.

Happy learning and photo shooting.

FlowerLady

Val said...

Thank you all! You've made me even more excited about using it.

asmplelife said...

You are going to love, love, love that camera! I had a similar model that I carried in my purse so I always had a camera with me. I used to love the shots that I could get with that camera. Have fun!!! Looking forward to seeing all your spiffy shots =)

Val said...

Thank you, Cheryl. I'm glad I posted about it--You all have given good reviews of this camera.