Friday, January 7, 2011

The Blue Santa-Mouse

I decided while at my parents' house this Christmas to take pictures of their Christmas decorations that mean the most to me. This blue Santa-mouse ornament was in the "Santa's Secret Shop" at my elementary school when I was a kid. Do schools still have this? It was so much fun. The PTA helped sponsor it, I'm sure. Each December, our school library was transformed into a "shopping mall" with the tables filled with really low-priced gifts like this. (My dad got a Mallard duck letter-opener from it.) Letters were sent home to parents beforehand explaining that gifts would be available at such-and-such low prices. Each class would get some time to go down to the library and shop. It was a blast. I don't think I even spent $2 total there each year but always managed to find something for my parents and two brothers.

One year, I hadn't budgeted my "Santa's Secret Shop" funds well, so I had almost no money left when it was time to go back to class--and I still needed to find something for my mom. I saw this mouse and knew she'd love it--she has so many blue Christmas things--but I only had a nickel left. I put my little-kid-shyness aside and told one of the PTA mom "salesclerks," "I only have a nickel left. How much does this cost?" and she smiled and said "It's only a nickel!" I was overjoyed. I didn't realize until years later that it surely hadn't really cost just a nickel. :) What a sweet lady. Thank you again, Whoever-and-Wherever-You-Are.   This silly little mouse has been on my mom's blue Christmas tree probably at least 25 years now. 


4 comments:

Paula said...

Oh Val! That is such a sweet, sweet story!!!! I just love it when people do kind things and it effects you in such a beautiful way… and 25 years later!!! The little mouse is darling! Love you! Paula

Val said...

Hi, Paula! How sweet to find you here. :) And yes about the woman and her kindness. Quite special, indeed. :)

kericronin said...

Aww..that is a sweet story!

Val said...

Hi, Keri. It is! What a dear woman. :)