Friday, August 22, 2008

A Post for Nikki, My Fellow Vintage Clothing Fan :)

I recently "met" the lovely and sweet Nikki of The Scarlett Rose Garden. She has lost more than 80 pounds--which is about the same amount of weight I had to lose when I started my own weight loss/better health journey last year--and thus has been quite an inspiration to me. Her photos and writings just exude warmth and love of life, and I'm so glad to have found her online.

Nikki designed her own wedding gown and asked today to see the one I've had in mind since I was 18, so here for my fellow vintage clothing-loving new friend is my dream gown. Mr. Mike and I can skip a "real" wedding and just head to the courthouse and I'll be happy, as "wedding hoopla" has never interested me much, but even if we got married in a trash dumpster with only the flies as our witnesses, I'd still want to be wearing this dress.  It was designed by Yumi Katsura and was featured in the June 1995 issue of Victoria magazine. I was looking through my grandmother's magazines while staying with her during the summer of 1995, and when I saw this photo, I just knew this was the only wedding gown I ever wanted to wear and even now, 13 years later, it's the one I want. The design itself looks pretty simple, so if I can't find an inexpensive dress that looks enough like this, I'll likely just create my own: An off-white gauzey long-sleeved blouse with a long skirt, a strapless cream corset or swimsuit underneath, a collar and French cuffs and faux bow-covered buttons up the back and along the cuffs...I'm sure we'll find a way to get the look I want. :) It's just such a sweet dress, and since the photo shows the model with her back turned, it's always been that much easier to imagine myself in it. With my hair pulled up and the last 30 or so pounds gone, that back-turned picture's probably how I'll actually look on my wedding day anyway. And I think 18-year-old Val somehow knew that all along, which is why the photo spoke to her the way it did.

3 comments:

Nikki via The Scarlett Rose Garden said...

Val you are too sweet!! (grabs kleenex...)
Thank you very much! I'm SO glad my weight loss story and pics are inspirational to folks, that's why they're out there is cyber space. Knowing that they've helped you in your awesome weight loss journey makes me very happy and lets me know it was worth the work loading up all those photos, lol!

That dress is amazing. Those CUFFS!! Too cute... I'm sure you can find a similar vintage dress on ebay to embellish.

Ah... just found the PERFECT vintage 50's pattern sweetie, check it out!! (If you sew or know someone who does!)
http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-SIMPLICITY-WEDDING-DRESS-PATTERN-SIZE-16-50S_W0QQitemZ330263052577QQihZ014QQcategoryZ4161QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Here's another with a larger pic,
http://vintagepatterns.wikia.com/wiki/Simplicity_4697

The size should be right too, by the time you're at goal! If not a good seamstress can alter the pattern to fit.(Boy I hate wearing a vintage size 12-16 when I am now in a modern 4-6, lol!)

Holy cow, this site wants $75 for that pattern, and it's a teeny size!
http://www.sovintagepatterns.com/catalog/item/1657945/4972871.htm

Many hugs,
Nikki

Nikki via The Scarlett Rose Garden said...

Hmm.. can't find a pattern for the skirt. I know I've seen one tho, shoot... I might even have it! But it looks to be a collumn type skirt with either a gathered back or detachable back.
I'll keep my eyes peeled if you like!
Nikki

Val said...

Thank you for taking the time to look those up, Nikki! I don't know anything about patterns or sewing with them, but one of my aunts makes clothing--she's done Civil War-era costumes you'd probably love, actually--so maybe she could be my seamstress. Hmmmmmm. :) Going by a patten certainly beats my idea of a strapless swimsuit under a white blouse. ;) Thanks so much. :)

And I know what you mean about vintage sizes. What bugs me is that at work I have to wear the baggy chef outfit, and it makes me look five sizes bigger than I am. It's just vanity talking, I know, but to lose so much weight and have to wear such huge and loose clothes all day--blechh!