Tuesday, November 6, 2007

My Year

Last week at this time I was putting together a beef stew supper and a bag of treats for Mr. Mike for Halloween and thinking about Halloween of last year and about just how much my life has changed--or how much I have changed my life--in the past twelve months. Halloween 2006 saw me working noon-nine pm at a job I hated, missing both a family dinner that day and the chance to see my little nephew in his scarecrow costume that evening. The misery I felt all day last Halloween was the same that colored so many of my days last year. But last Wednesday, in a new apartment in a new city on a day off from a new job and baking peanut butter cookies for Mr. Mike, I was overwhelmed by how happy I was and by just how dramatically I've changed my life in one year's time. Mom called while I was scrambling to get the Halloween show on the road here, and in the cozy glow of apple cinnamon and pumpkin pie-scented candles, I sat down to tell her I was happy. She has been telling me every year for what seems like forever that "this will be [my] year," and finally, last week, with only sixty-two days left of what has been an awesome year, I could tell her that she was right. I am so happy, and for the first time in a long time, I've had months in a row of looking not backward but forward.

4 comments:

Kent said...

Woo-hoo! 'Bout time, those Fairy Roses were getting a little dusty.

Everything sounds peachy except for square apple pies. That sounds suspiciously un-American. You would get severe looks at local church pot-lucks. "Did you see what she brought? Well! I never." Tell me you didn't make your own crust, I vow to someday beat a crust into submission. But that day is not today.

Who doesn't like the 'Facts of Life' theme? I threatened to sing 'Getting to Know You' here yesterday, but I was thwarted. Thwarts are difficult to get rid of, I may use cold treatment.

Wishing you two the best, as always. Glad to see you blogging again.

Val said...

Thank you, Kent. :) I do make my own pie crust, but I learned last week that I don't have my recipe memorized yet--A bit too much flour got thrown in last week. "Gravy or water! Some liquid! PLEASE!" ;) And I myself sing "Getting to Know You" all the time--as Mike can confirm. :)

Leigh Ann said...

Congratulations on moving forward. I know what it's like to get out of a bad situation and the relief you feel once you are out. Like you can finally breath...Glad you both are happy and I wish you all the best!!!

Take care!

Leigh Ann

Val said...

Thank you so much, Leigh Ann, and happy Thanksgiving. :)